Immigration Law

Settling into a new country is difficult enough - Let me take care of the admnistrative steps for you. I have broad experience handling cases for international clients and will help you navigate the Austrian immigration system. Although the correspondence with the local authorities will have to be in German, I am happy to answer any questions you may have in English.

+ Scope of Services

  • visa applications
  • student permit applications
  • red white red card applications
  • immigration strategies for the residence of applicants, their families and domestic staff
  • residence permits
  • citizenship applications
  • representation before relevant authorities (MA 35, regional administrative authorities, foreigner’s police unit, diplomatic representations, administrative courts)

Frequently asked questions on immigration law

+ What is the MA 35?

Magistratsabteilung 35 or "MA 35" for short is the competent authority for matters of immigration and citizenship applications in Vienna. Outside of Vienna, the competent authorities are the regional Bezirkshauptmannschaften or "BH" for short. MA 35 is notorious as many foreigners have made mixed experiences when addressing them. Often, it is helpful if your application is handled by an attorney who has dealt with them before.

+ CAN I Apply for my immigration papers while in Austria on a tourist visa?

That depends. In general, you are supposed to file any application with the Austrian embassy or consulate in your home country. However, if you are from a country whose citizens may enter Austria with a visa on arrival (such as US or Japanese citizens), you may apply while you are in Austria.

+ Is Austria a Schengen country?

Yes, Austria is a Schengen country. That means that you may travel freely with a valid Schengen visa from another country to Austria. It also means that you may travel to other Schengen countries with a Schengen visa that you have obtained from Austria.

+ What is an apostille?

In general, Austrian authorities will only accept documents issued by another Austrian authority or by the authorities of a country that has international agreements with Austria on mutual recognition of documents. For many documents, such as birth and marriage certificates, Austrian authorities may require that you bring an "apostille". You can imagine the apostille as a seal that the authorities of one country (call it country A) put on documents from their country. It demonstrates to authorities of other countries that "yes, this is a valid document which has been put together by the competent authorities of country A". So if you are a citizen of country A and submit an apostilled document from your home country, Austrian authorities will know that this is indeed a valid document from country A and accept it in your immigration papers application. Please note that apostilles cannot be obtained from the embassy of your home country in Austria, but only in your home country (sometimes with the help of a public notary there).